Timeline of Yuba School
-- The Anishnaabek were the original inhabitants. Native Americans lived in a village beside Yuba Creek.
1852 - First settlers built a log home.
1859 - Committee formed to start a school.
1869 - East Bay District #2 purchased land from Lydia King.
1870 - Construction began on the Yuba one-room schoolhouse.
1901 - School added a second classroom.
1964 - Yuba school is closed.
1965 - Annexed to Elk Rapids Schools.
1981 - Elk Rapids Schools gave a 99 year lease to Yuba Women’s Club.
ER approved giving the 99-year lease to Yuba Heritage Society.
1987 - Yuba Heritage Society agreed to transfer lease to Acme Township.
1988 - Acme Township paid for a new porch with wheelchair ramp.
1989 - Acme Civic Association paid for painting the building and a new roof.
1990 - Yuba School registered as Michigan Historic Site No. L1745.
2003 - Inventoried artifacts and stored boxes of books in Elk Rapids.
2009 - Yuba Historic Society formed.
2010 - Cornerstone Architects prepared project drawings.
2012 - Asbestos was removed from the schoolhouse.
2013 - Basement upgrade started.