Principal: Bryan Mckenna
Secretaries: Beth Veeder, Elaine DiGiovanni
Lakeland Student Council
Democracy rings through the halls of Lakeland Elementary School. Every year the students form their own government of the people, by the people, for the people. During the month of September each classroom, grades 2-5, elect two representatives to form the Lakeland Elementary Student Council. The students elected as classroom representatives are considered the Legislative Branch of the Student Government.
The next order of business is to elect the Executive Branch with a President, a Vice-President, a Secretary, and a Treasurer. The election is open to all students in the fourth and fifth grade. Each candidate must prepare and deliver a speech to the entire fourth and fifth grade. The students hold a general election and the winner becomes the president, the runner up becomes the vice-president. The next two candidates with the most votes become the secretary and treasurer.
A few examples of Lakeland Student Council Projects are food drives, book distributions, student spirit days, Friendship week, fundraisers for local events and world causes, Screen Free Week, Earth Day, Veterans appreciation projects, used toy drives, book clubs, March is Reading Month activities and many more.
The young representatives really work hard and take pride in their student government and their school. The Lakeland Student Council will continue to plan and develop projects, activities and events that help their schools, their communities, and their Country.
Let freedom ring!!
Student Council Advisor
Student Council 2018-2019
- Grades 2-5
- Two Representatives from each classroom.
- Each candidate should write a short paragraph for their class on “why they would make a good student council representative.” (Optional)
- Elections for the representatives should be held in each classroom by private ballot. Classroom teachers can decide the best time and format for this selection process.
- All classroom elections should be held before October 5, 2018.
- Names of the two-elected student council representatives can be delivered to Mrs. Bailey.
- Officers will be elected from the fourth and fifth grade Mini-Society.
- Lakeland Officers will consist of a President, a Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
- Student council will meet two-three times a month. Most meetings will be on Fridays, in Mrs. Bailey’s room, at 3:00 pm.
- Projects will be school and community service activities developed and run by the students at Lakeland School.